Voice of OC: Is OCFA on Fire?
Dear OCFA member,
Thank you for your continued support as we stand together for a fair contract for OCEA members at the Orange County Fire Authority. We know these needlessly drawn-out negotiations have been difficult for you and your families, but we are rallying the support of the community and gaining momentum, which we hope will create movement at the bargaining table.
Your efforts have not gone unnoticed. Earlier this summer we joined forces with Firefighters Local 3631 to demand the fair treatment of OCFA’s support staff and first responders at OCFA Headquarters. From there, OCEA and 3631 members began addressing the home councils of JPA Board members during their public meetings. Members of the community have also spoken up in support of us at these meetings, andthis week Voice of OC published a critical look at the entire Board and executive staff leadership entitled: “Is Orange County’s Fire Authority on Fire?”
The Voice of OC expose was informed by OCEA leadership providing background and on the record quotes to the reporter covering this issue. Make no mistake, OCEA is doing everything we can to focus the public’s attention on the failure of the OCFA Board to engage in meaningful negotiations.
The article summarizes a decade of tumult at OCFA and the JPA Board’s current lack of engagement, reporting that a review of 2022 meetings shows there have been zero dates where all 25 members have shown up, and that “less than a third of the members speak aside from voting during most meetings.”
JPA Vice Chair Anthony Kuo of the Irvine City Council told VOC: “There are some (board members) you have to call out their name a few times to see if they’re understanding the conversation,” adding that some of the members on the board aren’t informed enough to make the decisions they are tasked with because of high turnover. While JPA members often publicly support firefighters and support staff with their quotes and soundbites, now is their time to take action and show appreciation with a fair contract that recognizes your commitment, talent and sacrifice.
We are keeping up the pressure as our tour of JPA member councils continues. Please review the list below and join us in your city so you can stand in solidarity with the public workers who keep your community safe! If you feel comfortable to speak, OCEA staff can help you prepare talking points. It is also just as helpful to attend in the audience.
- Sept. 12 (Mon.) Arrive: 6:30 p.m. | Meeting: 7 p.m. @ Seal Beach, 211 Eighth St.
- Sept. 13 (Tues.) Arrive: 6:30 p.m. | Meeting: 7 p.m. @ Laguna Hills, 24035 El Toro Road
- Sept. 19 (Mon.) Arrive: 5:30 p.m. | Meeting: 6 p.m. @ Los Alamitos, 3191 Katella Ave.
- Sept. 20 (Tues.) Arrive: 5:30 p.m. | Meeting: 6 p.m. @ Dana Point, 33282 Golden Lantern
- Sept. 27 (Tues.) Arrive: 6 p.m. | Meeting: 6:30 p.m. @ Villa Park, 17855 Santiago Blvd.
- Sept. 28 (Wed.) Arrive: 6:30 p.m. | Meeting: 7 p.m. @ RSM, 22112 El Paseo
- Oct. 4 (Tues.) Arrive: 6 p.m. | Meeting: 6:30 p.m. @ Tustin, 300 Centennial Way
- Oct. 5 (Wed.) Arrive: 6:30 p.m. | Meeting: 7 p.m. @ Aliso Viejo, 12 Journey Suite 100
- Oct. 11 (Tues.) Arrive: 9 a.m. | Meeting: 9:30 a.m. @ BOS, 333 W. Santa Ana Blvd.
- Oct. 11 (Tues.) Arrive: 5:30 p.m. | Meeting: 6 p.m. @ Mission Viejo, 200 Civic Center
- Oct. 12 (Wed.) Arrive: 6:30 p.m. | Meeting: 7 p.m. @ Westminster, 8200 Westminster Blvd.
- Oct. 18 (Tues.) Arrive: 6 p.m. | Meeting: 6:30 p.m. @ Lake Forest, 100 Civic Center Dr.
- Oct. 19 (Wed.) Arrive: 1:30 p.m. | Meeting: 2 p.m.@ Laguna Woods, 24264 El Toro Rd.
- Oct. 24 (Mon.) Arrive: 6:30 p.m. | Meeting: 7 p.m. @ Cypress, 5275 Orange Ave.
Our numbers show our commitment to a fair contract. We hope to see you there!
Publication Date: September 9, 2022